Timpani – audition program
Completed Master’s studies and at least three years of experience in an orchestra.
The audition for the position of Timpani takes place in two rounds.
1 st Round:
– A melodic solo or etude of candidate’s choice to be played on no more than standard set
of 4 timpani (scores need to be provided for audition committee).
– Beethoven: Symphony No. 1: Mvt. II and III
– Beethoven: Symphony No. 5: Mvt. I, III, and IV
– Beethoven: Symphony No. 9: Mvt. I, II, and IV
2 nd Round:
– Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra: Mvt. IV, and V
– Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste: Mvt. II, and IV
– Frank Martin: Concerto for Seven Wind Instruments: Mvt. III timpani solo
– Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
– Mahler: Symphony No. 5: Mvt. II, and V
– Strauss: Salome
– Holst: The Planets: Mvt. VI Uranus (timp 1)
– Bruckner: Symphony No. 5: Mvt. IV
– Wagner: Valkyrie: Act II, Scene IV